Saturday, November 26, 2011

Many Thanks

Four months into our great Ohio adventure and on Thanksgiving weekend, I figure there's not a more opportune time to get some of the things I'm thankful for out on e-paper. 

So, in no particular order, here's 15 things I'm thankful for...

1. I'm thankful that God has faithfully provided both jobs and great friendships during our first four months in a new city.

2. I'm thankful that, in the shuffle to find gainful employment and means to pay the bills, that we've needed minimal baby-sitting for Anabelle.

3. I'm thankful that, when we have needed baby-sitting, the body of Christ--particularly the Flower and Burns families--have gladly stepped in to fill the need.

4. I'm thankful for Skype, and for the connection Janelle and I are able to have with our families and friends back home.

5. I'm thankful for Rich Mullins, and for words that he wrote to the Lord, such as, "I'm home anywhere, if you are where I am."

6. I'm thankful that, as a great and desperate sinner who has been rescued by faith in the shed blood of Christ,  the accusation of "Hypocrite" can never stick to me.

7. I'm thankful that grace is a free gift resulting in glad obedience, and not a subsidy doled out to nearly deserving hard-workers.

8. I'm thankful for God's gift of mentors and models of His manifold grace.

9. I'm thankful for the quiet and tireless humility that I've watched in a man named Mo.

10. I'm thankful for the intentional, relentless pursuit of souls that I've watched in my friends, Ken and Miss Beverly.

11. I'm thankful for the frighteningly fearless joy I see in my Hawkeye State brothers.

12. I'm thankful that Pastor Bob went door-to-door, inviting the neighborhood kids to Vacation Bible School, and that God blessed his diligence by shedding the light of the Gospel in the hearts of my brothers, my parents and I.

13. I'm thankful that God did a similar work in Janelle's family just a few years later.

14. I'm thankful for my dad and Scott Burns for showing what the Gospel looks like in blue jeans.

15. I'm thankful that there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

No comments: